Low health literacy represents a serious challenge in our community.
This problem results in communications breakdowns between patients and their providers, oftentimes resulting in improper or inefficient care that negatively impacts both sides.
In an effort to address this challenge, Health Literacy San Diego (HLSD), a project of Community Health Improvement Partners (CHIP) and the San Diego Council on Literacy (SDCOL), has produced a new report titled, Improving Health Communications: A Collaborative Plan to Address Health Literacy in San Diego County.
Funded by Alliance Healthcare Foundation with additional support from Molina Healthcare, this report serves as an update to the 2007 health literacy report, When Words Get in the Way: A Collaborative Plan to Address Health Literacy in San Diego County.
Now, in an effort to discuss this updated report and to create an open forum for ideas, potential solutions, and creative strategies, AHF is launching its iEngageU Community Engagement Series Feb. 25 at United Way of San Diego.
Join us as we convene some of the community’s brightest minds and most dedicated leaders to tackle the health and wellness issues currently facing the San Diego County region, beginning with health literacy, at this forum.
- Dr. Nora Faine, Medical Director, Molina Healthcare
- Jose Cruz, CEO, San Diego Council on Literacy
- Valerie Hardie, Literacy Program Administrator, READ/San Diego Adult Literacy Program
- Ismael Cortez, Program Manager, Project SHINE with Cuyamaca College
- Aaron Hoskins, Supervisor of Digital Operations, Sharp HealthCare
- Moderator: Kristin Garrett Montgomery, CEO, CHIP
Please RSVP by Feb. 23, 2016. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/health-l...
Contact AHF Program Officer Michele Silverthorn at 858-875-3305 or via email at MSilverthorn@AllianceHF.org if you have any questions before the event.
* Please be aware that by participating in this forum and entering Jacobs Center of Neighborhood Innovation on Feb. 25, 2016, you consent to your voice, name and/or likeness being used, without compensation, in pictures and video for promotion in any and all media, including social media, whether now known or hereafter devised, for eternity, and you release Alliance Healthcare Foundation, its successors, assigns and licensees from any liability whatsoever of any nature.