SHARE THIS VIDEO: https://youtu.be/ANyz1XvJeuA
Red heads are SUPER rare and really fascinating so here are the top 12 facts about redheads!!!
1. Red hair is caused by a series of mutations in the MC1R (melanocortin 1 receptor), a gene located on chromosome 16. Because it’s a recessive trait, it must be inherited from BOTH parents for hair to be red… thanks mom and dad. Because of this genetic phenomenon far more people carry the mutation than people who actually have red hair. In Scotland, approximately 13% of the population are red heads, although up to 40% carry at least on mutation.
2. The 45th parallel is a natural boundary for red hair. Under the 45th parallel the UV rays become so strong that its is no longer and advantage to have very fair skin. In the northern latitudes where sunlight is sparse lighter skin has an advantage as lighter skin improves the ability to absorb light and produce Vitamin D. Which also means redheads are more susceptible to sunburn
3. The frequency of red hair is highest in Ireland (10-30%), Scotland (10-25%), followed by Wales (10 to 15%). The distribution matches very well to ancient Celtic and Germanic civilizations.
4. although red hair is so awesome, red heads have less hair on their heads! In terms of totally number of hair strands red heads have 90,000 strands where as blonde 110,000 and brunettes with 140,000. While they may have less hairs, the hair strand is much thicker leading to an appearance of thinker fuller hair. This apparently makes it easier to style…so having red hair saves time on “getting ready time”
5. Red heads don’t go grey! The red hair pigment doesn’t actually turn grey but rather fades with age from faded copper, to rosy-blonde, to then silvery white.
6. Red hair and blue eyes are the most rare humans on the face of the planet! Since both red hair and blue eyes are a recessive trait only 1% of the worlds population has this combination. 100 times more rare than finding a four leaf clover on the first try!
7. Red hair is super rare! Less than 2% of the worlds population has red hair. This is approximately 140 million people.
8. They are sweet like honey… sorta. Several studies have shown bees are more attracted to red heads.
9. Red heads take pain differently. According to the outcomes research institute of the university if Louisville red heads are more sensitive to thermal pain, but less sensitive to electrical pain. They also require 20% more anesthesia to be sedated! Tough cookies
10. In greek mythology, all red heads turn into vampires when they die.
Bonus: because red is such a strong pigment, red hair is much harder to dye.
Bonus: Red heads are more likely to be left handed. Recessive traits often happen in pairs so people who have the gene for red hair also have the gene for left handed-ness
Writer/Producer: Nick Uhas
Editor: Aaron Shafer
Music Composer Intro "Jingle": Aaron Shafer
DP: Sam Mosco
Sound: Matt Vieira